‘We’ve evolved our playing style’

T1.jpg

India’s Under-22 football coach Arthur Papas, who is also in charge of the All India Football Federation’s developmental side Pailan Arrows, deserves credit for the I-League team’ performance this season.

In a chat with the federation website, Papas talks about his vision for Pailan, the challenges, and his Under-22 wards Jeje Lalpekhlua, Lalrindika Ralte, Manandeep Singh and others. Excerpts:
Tell us about Pailan Arrows’ progress in the I-League so far.
The system we have put in place has a higher emphasis on performance over results — more so because of the age of my players. We have certain performance indicators which we look to meet in every training session and in every game. We are confident that if we can meet them, the results will continue to improve in the long run.
What has pleased me the most is the way we have evolved our playing style. This was something identified as crucial and full credit goes to the players because they have kept their minds open along with complete dedication and tremendous discipline, which obviously, has made my job much easier.
Arrows do not have any overseas player in their ranks. Your thoughts?
Quite simply my job is not the same as the coach at any other club. My job is based around developing and exposing talented Indian youth players aged between 18 and 21. These are critical years and that’s the reason why the Arrows were formed. The idea stays to give as much exposure to competitive football to as many players.
Video analysis has been an integral part of your coaching since the U-22 AFC Championship earlier this year. How does it benefit players?
Video analysis is a simple yet effective coaching aid that I have incorporated in all my teams throughout my career. If you ask me, I will tell you that it stays a must for me if you are a professional footballer. I find it extremely beneficial on many levels and the boys have become very receptive to this form of feedback in order to improve their performance.
Some Arrows players were also part of the India U-22 team in the AFC Championship. How do you see them mature in the I-League?
It’s another step forward for them in their football development. Otherwise the Arrows wouldn’t have participated in the I-League. You can never give an exact time as to when an individual will mature as a player. But by continually exposing them to environments that are challenging, it forces them to adapt and overcome; or else you get left behind.